Thursday, January 20, 2011

Genesis 18: Sarah Laughs

In verse 9 the men ask Abraham where his wife Sarah is. He told them that she was in the tent. Then in verse 10, "the LORD said, "I will certainly come back to you in about a year's time, and your wife Sarah will have a son!" Sarah was in the tent listening, and heard what the Lord said. Sarah laughed to herself, because she was old and pass the childbearing age. The Lord knew that Sarah laughed and knew what she said to herself, so he asks Abraham in verse 13 "Why did Sarah laugh, saying, 'Can I really have a baby when I'm old?' 14Is anything impossible for the LORD? At the appointed time I will come back to you, and in about a year she will have a son". Sarah thought that no one had heard her laugh, but He, being the Lord, heard everything and this scared her. She denied that she laughed, lying to the Lord, but He knew that she laughed and said in verse 15 "No, you laughed".


The Lord could have punished Sarah for not believing in Him by taking away the son he promised them, but but He is a patient and kind God. So instead, he deals with her unbelief, but doesn't take away the child he promised them.

No comments:

Post a Comment